Friday, February 19, 2010

homemade congee

this morning i got to have homecooked congee (chinese rice porridge) for the first time! my roommate's mom who comes from taiwanese descent wanted to make congee for breakfast for their family. it was interested to see how she made it.

first she boiled water in a large pot, then she added the already made brown rice we had leftover. then she added sweet potato that was thinly sliced to the rice. after cooking it for about 10-15 minutes, she set the pot aside to let it cool.

for sides, we had dried pork, nori (seaweed), and gluten all shown in the picture. the gluten reminded me of fried tofu skins. it's got a sweet taste to it. she also made scrambled egg with green onions. and we had pickled cucumbers and bamboo shoots in chili sauce.

i've had congee like this at lu's garden in san gabriel, but it's always nice to eat homecooked food. my first time! i liked it. i may have to go back to lu's garden again when i'm craving congee.








1 comment:

  1. I loved eating congee when I was visiting my sister. I tried to make some the other day, but wasn't quite sure how to do it. I boiled the rice in a lot of water for a long time with some red pepper and green onion. It wasn't congee, but it was good. I'll have to try cooking the rice first and then reboiling it...

    ReplyDelete